Lithgow Mystery Tour
History, mystery, rugged characters and the breathtaking views of the wild western slopes, with a nugget of gold, delicious food and more thrown in for good measure when you explore the gritty heart of Australia’s first industrial hub.
We can’t give too much away, though – it’s a mystery!
First stop is the Mitchells Ridge convict stockade, built during the 1830s for the construction of Victoria Pass. A beautiful spot with incredible views of the untamed western slopes, it is however shrouded in mystery, with tales of lost and found fortunes on the Bathurst gold fields, of craggy bushrangers and the tantalising ghost of Victoria Pass.
Next is a guided tour of Eskbank House & Museum in Lithgow, which played an enormous part in the industrial history of the town. Glimpse what life was like during that period for the successful few.
Recharge your batteries at The Tin Shed café, an historic building which dates back to the 1800s and has served many purposes.
Listen to the heartbreaking story of the Lithgow Valley Colliery explosion, told through digital hologram at the Lithgow State Mine Museum.
Look out for some local wildlife and capture photographs of the glorious 360 degree view over the Lithgow area from Hassans Walls Lookout.
Complete the day with afternoon tea and a guided tour around the history-soaked Hartley Historic Site. Mosey around the colonial buildings, learn the heritage and experience the new holograms.
COST: $180 adults, $165 children
AVAILABILITY: Wednesdays or on demand
START TIME: 10am to 6pm or customised
LENGTH OF TOUR: 7 to 8 hours
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PEOPLE: 2
WHAT TO BRING: Sturdy footwear (no thongs, high heels or sandals), warm jacket, hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, umbrella, camera and film and medication if required
- Hotel transfers from upper Blue Mountains
- Guided tour of Hartley Historic Site
- Morning tea at Hartley Historic Post Office coffee shop
- Guided tour of historic Eskbank House & Museum
- Lunch at The Tin Shed
- Wildlife spotting (eagles and other birds, kangaroos, wombats and reptiles)
- Blue Mountains Mystery Tours can collect you from your accommodation in the Blue Mountains, Katoomba railway station or other locations by arrangement
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to departure as we cannot wait for late arrivals
- Book early for Friday and Saturday nights to avoid disappointment
- All tours take up to 12 people. For larger groups vehicles can tag along
DEPARTURE, MEETING POINT OR PICK UP
We can collect you from your accommodation in the Blue Mountains, Katoomba railway station or other locations by arrangement.
Otherwise, the Ghost Tour leaves from the Blue Mountains City Council Car Park, Corner of Civic Place and Station St, Katoomba.
WHAT TO BRING
All tours require:
- Medications if required
- Sturdy footwear (no thongs, high heels or sandals)
- Warm jacket
- Insect repellent
- Ghost Tours require a torch for each person ($5 hire)